A Quick Overview of The Monument
Monument to the Great Fire of London, more commonly known simply as the Monument, is a Doric column in the City of London, near the northern end of London Bridge, which commemorates the Great Fire of London.
It stands at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, 202 ft (62 m) tall and 202 ft (62 m) from the spot in Pudding Lane where the Great Fire started on 2 September 1666. Another monument, the Golden Boy of Pye Corner, marks the point near Smithfield where the fire was stopped.
Constructed between 1671 and 1677, it was built on the site of St. Margaret's, Fish Street, the first church to be burnt down by the Great Fire.
- The Monument comprises a fluted Doric column built of Portland stone topped with a gilded urn of fire.
- It was designed by Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke.
- Its height marks its distance from the site of the shop of Thomas Farynor, the king's baker, where the Great Fire began.