How To Say 'St John’s Churchyard, Waterloo' Audio
Phonetics For 'St John’s Churchyard, Waterloo'?
sint jonz church:yard wɔ:tə:loo
A Quick Overview of St John’s Churchyard, Waterloo
St John's Church, Waterloo, is an Anglican Greek Revival church in South London, built in 1822–24 to the designs of Francis Octavius Bedford. It is dedicated to St John the Evangelist, and with St Andrew's, Short Street, forms a united benefice.
The church is located in Waterloo, opposite the London IMAX, close to Waterloo Station and the campus of King's College London.
- In 1818, when the country was settling down into a period of peace after the Napoleonic Wars and the population was beginning to expand rapidly, Parliament decided to allocate a sum not exceeding a million pounds for the building of additional churches in populous parishes and “more particularly in the Metropolis and its Vicinity.”
- Of this sum, the Commissioners for Building New Churches appropriated £64,000 in 1822 for the needs of the parish of Lambeth.
- It was decided that a new church should be built on the Waterloo Bridge approach, with a piece of ground on the east side of the road to be purchased from the Archbishop of Canterbury and his lessee and the sub-lessee, Sir Gilbert East and Mr. Anderson.