A Quick Overview of Salisbury Square
This seaside community was once territory of the Pennacook Indians. It was settled by the English in 1638 and was known as Colchester and in 1640 incorporated as Salisbury, after Salisbury in Wiltshire, England.
The original roads in the center of the town formed a compact semicircle, which allowed the residents to quickly reach the garrison house in case of attack. Those roads still exist, though the shape today is triangular, being bounded by Elm Street, School Street and Bridge Road.
- In 1866, Beach Road was constructed crossing Great Marsh and providing access to Salisbury’s five miles of pristine beach. As time passed, this beach area developed into a thriving summer resort, lined with hotels, restaurants, shops, cottages, arcades and amusement parks.
- Today Salisbury is extremely diverse geographically, encompassing square sixteen miles of farms, beaches, marshlands, as well as residential and commercial properties.
- The Town includes four very different areas: Salisbury Beach, a barrier beach with miles and miles of sandy beaches along the Atlantic Ocean and salt marshes surrounding dense residential and commercial beachfront properties, Salisbury Plains, comprised predominately of farms and suburban homes in fields and rolling woodlands, Salisbury Square, a village style center with churches, municipal buildings and local residences, and Ring's Island, once a flourishing fishing village facing Newburyport on the Merrimack River and now a neighborhood of restored antique homes and maritime businesses.