A Quick Overview of Furnivall Gardens
Furnival Gardens (formerly also spelt Furnivall Gardens) is a park in Hammersmith alongside the river Thames. It was once the location of the mouth of Hammersmith Creek, which had an active fishing trade until about 200 years ago. The creek was filled in in 1936.
- In 1948, it was decided that there should be a public open space on bomb-damaged land between the river and the Great West Road, to coincide with the 1951 Festival of Britain.
- The new riverside park was named after the scholar Dr Frederick James Furnivall, who founded what is now theFurnivall Sculling Club in 1896.
- A garden area was created on what had been the Hammersmith Friends Meeting House burial ground, destroyed by a flying bomb in the war.