A Quick Overview of Birkbeck
Birkbeck station is a railway station and light rail stop in the London Borough of Bromley in the southern suburbs of London. It is located on Elmers End Road (A214) and alongside Beckenham Crematorium.
The line through Birkbeck was opened as a double-track branch of the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway in 1858, but was closed from 1860 to 1863 and again in 1915 until reopened in 1929 as part of the Southern Railway electrification scheme. A year later, on 2 March 1930, a new station was opened, to serve a growing suburban area, and named after the Birkbeck Freehold Lane Society, whose name derived from the Yorkshire philanthropist Dr Birkbeck.